Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Banana Carrot Muffins

Have I mentioned that James is a very thoughtful boyfriend? Well, he is. So thoughtful, in fact, that last week he informed me our bananas were getting old and we just so happened to have some leftover shredded carrots and maybe I could bake something healthy with them. For him. And if that wasn't thoughtful enough, I got an email that very same day with a recipe for these banana carrot muffins.






Ingredients:

-1 1/2 C flour (AP or gluten free)
-3/4 C sugar
-1 tsp. baking powder
-1 tsp. baking soda
-1/2 tsp. salt
-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
-1/4 tsp. nutmeg*
-2 eggs, separated (or egg replacer if vegan!)
-1 tablespoon honey
-1/4 tsp. grated orange peel
-2 med. ripe bananas - mashed
-1 C shredded carrots
-1/2 C unsweetened applesauce

Directions:

-Preheat oven to 350

-In large bowl combine: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon & nutmeg

-In another bowl beat egg yolks. Add in honey & grated orange peel if including. Mix into dry ingredients until just mixed in. Mix in bananas, carrots & applesauce

-In separate bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form & fold into batter.

-Fill muffin cups (2/3 full) and bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

-This made ~12 muffins for me with a little batter left over.

**I omitted the nutmeg and grated orange peel.

These were delicious and if I ate 2 for breakfast I wasn't hungry for lunch until noon. That's unheard of for me. Usually I'm starving by 10am. Of course, I also usually just eat some almonds for breakfast once I get to work because I literally lay in bed until the absolute last minute and then have no time for breakfast. So maybe that has something to do with it... Either way, I highly recommend these and I despise most anything that could be considered healthy!

3 comments:

  1. yummy yummy! And they look healthy too!

    XOXO
    Chelsea
    http://anchorsaweigh-ouradventure.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great! I'm always on the lookout for vegan options and can't wait to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete