Sunday, May 19, 2013

Chocolate Fudge Brownies

My new favorite brownies...

On Mother's Day I was looking for something simple to make with ingredients I already had in the house. I decided to make brownies, but I haven't found a brownie recipe I've been crazy about so I consulted my good friend Google. After looking at a few recipes I stumbled across this one on Recipe Girl and decided to give it a try. These are simple, quick and delicious. They're topped with a chocolate 'glaze' that turns more into a fudge after they sit awhile. Needless to say I've found my new favorite brownies. 

*Excuse the bad picture, they didn't last long enough for a better one & clearly I'm not a photographer!


Ingredients:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped (I used a Lindt 70% chocolate bar)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
2 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips (I used mini chocolate chips)

GLAZE:
2/3 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (I used 4 squares of a Lindt dark chocolate bar and 0.5 oz semisweet Baker's chocolate)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 to 5 teaspoons hot water (or more, as needed)

Preheat oven to 350F. Spray 8" baking dish with nonstick spray. Line with parchment paper (leave edges hanging over) and spray that also. 

In one bowl mix flour, baking powder & salt. In another bowl melt butter & chocolate in microwave. I do this 30 secs at a time. Usually takes 60-90 seconds. Stir together until smooth and then add in both sugars followed by eggs, the extra yolk & vanilla. Mix in flour mixture and then add chocolate chips.

Pour batter into pan and bake for 25-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean (there may be some chocolate from the chocolate chips).

Once brownies are cooled completely make the glaze. If you're using chocolate from a chocolate bar like I did you'll need to melt it first. Mix powdered sugar, chocolate, vanilla & hot water. Continue adding water 1 tsp at a time until glaze is just thin enough to pour over brownies. Let sit before serving. You can put them in the fridge to sit if you're in a hurry.

As always, eat & enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment