Thursday, May 9, 2013

My 'Go to' Chocolate Cake

I originally found this recipe on this blog via pinterest and ever since then it has been what I use when I need something quick & delicious! It's been a hit everywhere I've taken it and James even requested it for his birthday. He calls it the "chocolate explosion cake".  And, since his birthday happened to be over what is apparently Star Wars weekend (and he loves Star Wars) I made it into a Darth Vader cake.



I've made a couple minor adjustments to the original recipe, but its delicious just the way it is. 

Here's the original recipe with my preferences notated. I also tend to make it in just a 9x13 pan as I'm usually making it to take somewhere and I have pans that size with lids :)


1 box devil’s food cake mix *I prefer it with a chocolate fudge cake mix
1 small pkg Jello instant chocolate pudding mix *I've used sugar free & notice no difference
1 cup sour cream *I use non-fat greek yogurt instead
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups mini chocolate chips


Preheat oven to 350 F

Mix everything (except chocolate chips) together in a very large bowl (batter will be thick, so I love my KitchenAid for this). Mix in chocolate chips and pour into cake pan(s). Bake for however long it says on back of cake box, but it usually will take longer. I typically do it for ~30mins and then check every 5 minutes or so with a toothpick (there will be some chocolate from the chocolate chips on there!).

For the frosting I use the vanilla buttercream frosting I posted about here.



So, there it is. Super easy and delicious!  I've made it using a 'from scratch' recipe before but honestly, this one is so easy and so good that I didn't find it worth the extra effort. And, as a bonus, by using sugar free pudding mix & non-fat greek yogurt you can almost pretend its healthy... or at least not as bad for you as it could be ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment