Sunday, May 19, 2013

Easy Sunday Brunch

Sourdough French Toast

I actually made this last weekend for brinner (breakfast for dinner - one of my favorite things!), but did eat some leftovers for brunch the next day. James actually took some leftovers and made an open face Monte Cristo-esque sandwich with turkey + provolone and said it was delicious.

It's gone back to being gray and drizzly here and if I had any bread in my house right now, I would definitely make this for a cozy Sunday brunch. It's so easy and ridiculously good. Plus, apparently the leftovers are versatile - you can have sandwiches with it for dinner ;)

*Sorry for the bad picture, it didn't last long enough to take a good one ;)



Ingredients
-6-8 slices sourdough bread
-1/2 C milk (I used 1% because that's all we had - original recipe calls for whole milk, but 1% worked fine)
-4 eggs
-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
-dash of salt
-butter for the pan



Whisk all ingredients (except bread, ha!) together in a mixing bowl. Line baking sheet or casserole dish (I used a pyrex casserole dish) with however much bread will fit - 2 layers of 3 slices is what fit in mine. There was enough egg mixture to make 2 batches of that. Pour mixture over bread and let soak 5-10 minutes. Heat butter in pan on med-high heat. When hot carefully drop in bread. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned on each side.  Serve with syrup, powdered sugar, fruit, etc...

Eat & Enjoy!

(I got the original recipe here)





No comments:

Post a Comment