Sunday, June 2, 2013

Easy Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

Chocolate Chip cookies are one of my favorite things. Ever. However, as I've discussed on here numerous times, I'm lazy. Making individual cookies just seems like too much work to me when you can just make cookie bars instead. Plus I got a pan for my birthday one year that has the insert that just forms a bunch of squares so I don't even have to cut anything into bars. Easy made easier, just the way I like it ;)

Anyway, my brother was in town recently so my parents were hosting a family dinner and I, being lazy, had nothing planned to bring for dessert. I also took an afternoon nap that may have lasted a bit too long. I woke up with about 45 minutes before I needed to leave the house. I have a cookie bar recipe that I've used a few times in the past and like, but it takes too long and I didn't have all the ingredients for it so I consulted my friend google and came across this recipe. It seemed easy, used only a few ingredients and would fit into my time frame. Done.

All you have to do is melt some butter, cream it with some sugar & eggs, and throw in your dry ingredients. The recipe calls for 1 egg and 1 yolk, but I was in a hurry and didn't feel like separating an egg so I just threw in 2 eggs. It also says to fold in dry ingredients with a spatula, but again, no time for that. I just dumped in my dry ingredients and let them get stirred in until they were just mixed in. 



I did, however fold in my chocolate chips with a rubber spatula so I guess that counts as following directions, right? Original recipe called for 2 cups of chocolate chips. I just had a bag of mini chips in the pantry and dumped what was left in. I have no idea how much it was, but like always, I think I could've used more... there's always room for more chocolate ;)



Finally I just poured it into my heavily greased pan with the also heavily greased insert. If you don't have one of these, you should probably get one. I use mine all the time. I also opted to top 1/2 the bars with chopped pecans - if anything makes cookies better, it's pecans :)


Then I just popped it in the oven for 20-25 minutes rotating halfway and voila, cookie bars!  These were simply & delicious. I've been on a quest for the Best chocolate chip cookie - you know, the ones that are gooey, chocolatey & oh so buttery all at the same time?!? These weren't quite that for me, but they were delicious. What wasn't gone at dinner was quickly eaten for breakfast this morning. And the fact that these were ridiculously easy and used ingredients you probably always have in your pantry definitely makes them a winner in my book.



Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars


-2 cups + 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
-1/2 tspn salt
-1/2 tspn baking soda
-1 1/2 sticks butter - melted and slightly cooled
-1 cup light brown sugar
-1/2 cup granulated sugar
-1 lg egg & 1 lg egg yolk (again, I just used 2 eggs)
-2 tspn vanilla extract
-1 1/2 cups chocolate chips 
-chopped pecans or whatever else you want to add :)

Preheat oven to 325F. Grease pan & set aside. Melt butter - while butter is melting sift flour, salt & baking soda together. In mixing bowl combine melted butter & sugars until well mixed. Then add eggs and vanilla.  Once that is well mixed fold in flour mixture - again, I just dumped it in to the KitchenAid with everything else, just be careful not to over mix. Fold in chocolate chips and pour into pan. Bake 20-25 minutes, rotating halfway. Let cool, then eat and enjoy! 


8 comments:

  1. Oh goodness, these look delicious!!! I just pinned them so I remember to try them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing! You should definitely make them - they're SO easy :)

      Delete
  2. These look delicious and I love the pan you used! I have one, but never thought to use it for cookie bars! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a try - I love using mine for that - plus makes it easy to add different things to different cookies if everyone doesn't like the same stuff!

      Delete
  3. Yum! Looks delicious!
    Where did you get that special bars-pan? Do you like using it?
    hugs x
    Crystelle
    Make sure to join our HCG drops giveaway right here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it as a gift, but found it online here: http://www.chicagometallicbakeware.com/ProductDetail/SpecialtyBakeware/83/chicagometallic_slicesolutionsbrowniepanwithLid.aspx

      I love it - use it way more than I thought I would. Just make sure you heavily grease the insert or its a pain to clean!

      Delete
  4. Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting on my post about blogging tips from one newbie to another. These look A.M.A.Z.I.N.G! Yum! Now following you on GFC. PS - I know you mentioned you are a very new blogger, so in case you are unaware GFC and G+ is going away very soon, so you might want to consider signing up for Bloglovin' instead. Visit my blog and email me if you ever have questions. I know I am still new too, but can always try to help :)
    ~Jackie @ The Non-Martha Momma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had no idea but was actually planning on looking into bloglovin soon anyway. Thanks so much for offering to help - I'm sure I will be taking you up on that soon :)

      Delete